Most of us simply toss empty plastic bottles away without a second thought. However, learning to melt and mold them is an inexpensive hobby that will let you explore your creative side while also giving those bottles a brand new existence. You can make a myriad of different things, from jewelry to figurines to holiday decorations, and are limited only by what your mind can conceive.
Remove all labels from the plastic bottles. Wash and dry the bottles thoroughly to ensure all of the sticky residue is gone.
Cut the plastic bottles into small pieces using scissors. Make the pieces small enough to fit inside the metal container.
Place the pieces of plastic into an oven-safe metal container. To prevent melted plastic from spilling inside the toaster oven, do not overfill the container.
Take the toaster oven outside and heat to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Melt plastic outside in order to avoid overexposure to harmful fumes.
Place the metal container in the toaster oven for three to four minutes. Increase heat in 25 degree intervals until the plastic is completely melted. Different types of plastic have different melting points.
Remove the metal container from the toaster oven using protective gloves or oven mitts once the plastic is completely melted.
Pour the melted plastic into a mold using a wooden stick. Allow the plastic to completely cool before taking it out of the mold.
Molds can be found at craft stores. For best results, buy a mold that is lined with aluminum.
Using different colors of plastic bottles can create interesting effects. Experiment with colors when crafting with melted plastic.
Pour red and green plastic into shot glasses to make gum drop Christmas tree ornaments.
Make a mold by forming clay around one half of an object, then the other half. Place the two halves together, leaving a hole in the top where the plastic will be poured. Then fire the clay mold in an oven to harden it.
Wear protective clothing when handling melted plastic. Hot plastic can burn skin if improperly handled.
Stay away from toaster oven as the plastic is melting, as the excessive smoke and fumes are harmful.