How to Add Similar & Dissimilar Fractions

How to Add Similar & Dissimilar Fractions
••• bhofack2/iStock/GettyImages

Adding similar fractions is easy, but adding dissimilar ones requires an additional step. Before you begin, you must know a few important key terms. First, the number on the top of a fraction is called the numerator, while the number on the bottom of a fraction is called the denominator. Similar fractions have the same denominator, also called a common denominator. To add dissimilar fractions (fractions with different denominators), you must first convert the fractions so that the denominators are the same.

    Multiply both parts of each fraction by the denominator of the other fraction, if the denominators are different. For example, if you are adding 1/3 and 2/5, multiply both 1 and 3 by 5, making the fraction 5/15. Then multiply both 2 and 5 by 3 (the denominator of the other fraction), making the fraction 6/15.

    Make the previous step easier if one of the denominators is a multiple of the other. For example, if you are adding 1/2 and 3/12, 12 is a multiple of 2 (2 x 6 = 12). In this case, leave 3/12 as is. Multiply both parts of 1/2 by 6 so that the denominator will be 12, making the fraction 6/12.

    Add the numerators, but leave the denominator the same, once you have similar fractions. For example, 5/15 + 6/15 = 11/15 or 6/12 + 3/12 = 9/12.

    Simplify the answer, if necessary. The fraction 11/15 cannot be simplified, but 9/12 can be simplified to 3/4 by dividing both the numerator and denominator by 3. If the numerator and denominator cannot both be divided by the same number, the fraction cannot be simplified.

    Check your work.


    • When converting fractions or finding equivalent fractions, always do the same thing to the numerator and the denominator.

Related Articles

How to Find the Product of Fractions
Adding & Subtracting Fractions
How to Add Fractions That Have Different Denominators
How to Cross Multiply
How to Evaluate Fractions
How to Subtract, Add & Simplify Fractions
How to Add & Subtract Improper Fractions
How to Compare LCD & LCM in Fifth Grade Math
How to Multiply Fractions by Percentages
How to Write a Fraction in the Simplest Form
How to Add & Subtract Negative Fractions
What Are Equivalent & Nonequivalent Fractions?
How to Solve Linear Equations
How to Subtract Mixed Numbers With Regrouping
Math Rules for Addition
How to Figure a Percentage of a Whole Number
Multiplying Fractions
How to Turn a Negative Denominator into a Positive
How to Find the Least Common Denominator of Two Fractions
How to Convert a Fraction to a Ratio

Dont Go!

We Have More Great Sciencing Articles!