How to Change Improper Fractions to Mixed Numbers in the Fourth Grade

Fractions show parts of a whole.
••• isolated circles graph made from fraction circles image by davidcrehner from

Although students learn about fractions before the fourth grade, they don't begin working on converting the fractions until fourth grade. Once students master the concept of fractions, they are ready to move on to converting them. When a fraction has a numerator that is larger than the denominator, it is called an improper fraction. This fraction must be converted to a mixed number.

    Divide the fraction's numerator by the fraction's denominator.

    Write the quotient down. This is the whole number part of your mixed number. For example, a fraction of 12/11 would have a quotient, or whole number, of 1, while a fraction of 50/10 would have a quotient of 5.

    Look at your remainder. Set the remainder over the original denominator to get the fraction part of your problem. For example, an improper fraction of 12/11 would have a remainder of 1 so the fraction part of the answer would be 1/11.

    Not all improper fractions have a remainder. For example, 50/10 would simply convert to 5.

    Write the whole number and the fraction together to form your mixed number. For example, an improper fraction of 12/11 would equal a mixed number of 1-1/11.


    • Print out extra worksheets for children to work on if they need more practice (see Resources).