When Was DNA Testing First Used?

Double Helix of DNA. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

DNA testing evolved from the study of genetics, which began in the late 1800s when Gregor Mendel first studied the phenomenon of inherited traits in pea plants. His work laid the foundation for the discovery of DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, the molecules that contain our genetic makeup. Despite the fact that nearly 99 percent of human DNA is similar, there is enough of a difference in the remaining 1 percent to make it possible to identify an individual.

DNA Facts

DNA is made up of four base chemicals, adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. These pair with each another to form a double-helix structure. DNA is passed down from parent to child through chromosomes. Each human cell has 46 chromosomes, half inherited from the mother and half from the father. Chromosomes and the DNA they contain make it possible to determine someone's genetic lineage.

Early Tests

The first genetics tests were done by Gregor Mendel, an Austrian monk who began by crossbreeding different types of pea plants in 1856. He was able to create new varieties of plants that exhibited traits passed down from earlier generations. Some of the traits he measured related to pea color and size. Although they were rudimentary tests, they showed the difference between dominant and recessive genes, given what trait was exhibited in the offspring pea, compared with the parent. It was this work that earned Mendel recognition as the "Father of Genetics."

Use in the Legal System

As our understanding of genetics and DNA grew, so did the possible applications of the science. DNA testing entered the U.S. legal system in 1987, when Tommy Lee Andrews of Florida was convicted of rape after tests matched a sample of his blood with semen left at the crime scene. DNA also can be used to clear someone of a crime. Glen Woodall of West Virginia was in prison for rape, kidnapping, and robbery when subsequent DNA testing proved his innocence. He was released in 1991 after having served four years in prison.

Paternity Tests

Since DNA is inherited from both parents, it is possible to determine parentage conclusively. One of the most famous paternity tests was in 1998. It involved Thomas Jefferson and a slave named Sally Hemings. Based on DNA from descendants of both of them, scientists concluded that Jefferson fathered all six of Hemings' children.


Using DNA testing as a means of identification is becoming more common. In 1992, the Army began collecting DNA samples from recruits to make it easier to identify soldiers killed in action, especially when there are few remains. In 1998, DNA extracted from the remains of a bone was used to identify the Unknown service member of the Vietnam War buried at Arlington National Cemetery. The remains were identified as Air Force 1st Lt. Michael Blassie.

Related Articles

Everything You Need to Know About DNA Tests
The Significance of Penta E
What Contribution Did Avery Make to the Discovery of...
How Did Scientists Discover That Genes Are Made of...
What are Specific Biotechnology Applications for DNA...
Everything You Need to Know About DNA Tests
Pros & Cons of Forensic Science
Nucleic Acid Facts
What Makes DNA Fingerprinting Unique?
Female Scientists Who Changed the World
What is the Subunit of DNA Called?
Need Inspiration? Check Out These 5 Women-Led Advancements...
Difference Between Recombinant DNA & Genetic Engineering
How to Get a tRNA Sequence from a DNA Sequence
What Are the Two Major Functions of Nucleic Acid in...
Types of Forensic Tests
Gene Editing is not About Making Designer Babies
How Does DNA & RNA Differ?
The Production of Recombinant Human Growth Hormones...