Why Does the Earth Appear Blue From Outer Space?

A view of the earth from a satellite in outerspace.
••• Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images

The way light reflects off air molecules has an effect on the way people see the sky as well as the ocean. When orbiting the Earth, satellites and astronauts see a blue globe due to some of these same properties. The sheer amount of water on Earth makes it appear blue in these instances, but there are other factors as well.

Scattering in the Atmosphere

The atmosphere is predominantly made of two gases, nitrogen and oxygen. These molecules absorb and scatter, or radiate, different kinds of light. Red, yellow and orange light have longer wavelengths that are not affected by as much by atmospheric gases, so they are not absorbed, but blue light is scattered and radiated, creating the blue sky you see every day. That blue light is not as visible from space, but plays a role in the blue color of the Earth. At night, the sunlight no longer is around to interact with the gases, so the sky become black.

Water Coverage

The Earth has many oceans and seas, from the Arctic Ocean to the Southern Ocean. Although there is red-hot heat below the surface of the Earth, the top layer is dominated by water. The oceans cover about 71 percent of the Earth and are blue, while land makes up the other 29 percent and varies in color, from green to tan to white. This gives the Earth the appearance of a blue marble. If the planet consisted mainly of land masses, it would be appear to be a different color completely.

Water Color

Although water covers a large percentage of the Earth, it is important to understand why the water is blue as well. As with the Earth's atmosphere, most of the colors of the light spectrum are absorbed by the water. The water radiates the blue in the spectrum, giving it its blue color. If another color were radiated, say red for instance, the Earth would look red from outer space, like Mars. The land masses of the Earth do not look blue due to this same principle.

Some Contradictions

The Earth only appears blue if you are looking at it from outer space on the side that is being lit by the sun. When you are orbiting the Earth, it will appear black when you orbit around a part of the Earth that is experiencing night. Because there is no sun to create the light, all of the Earth will appear somewhat dark. The stars will be more visible as well during this period. Land masses will appear somewhat dark blue, as there are artificial light sources that illuminate the sky on land.

Related Articles

How Does Light Travel From the Sun to Earth?
Facts About the Chromosphere of the Sun
What Are Diurnal Tides?
Why Does the Earth Not Get Very Hot or Cold?
Earth Atmosphere Facts
The Movement of the Sun & Moon in the Sky
What Are the Elements of Uranus?
How the Atmosphere Protects the Earth
How to Make Glowing Water for a Science Fair Project
When Can You See Venus in Full Phase?
How to Make a Model of the Planet Neptune
The Effects of Human Intervention on the Environment
How Much Hydrogen Is There in the World?
How to Compare Earth to Neptune
Importance of the Earth's Atmosphere
Everything You Need to Know About This Week's Total...
Fun Facts of the Sun, Moon & Stars
The Similarities and Differences Between the Sun and...
How Does Water Enter the Earth's Atmosphere?
Albedo of the Planets

Dont Go!

We Have More Great Sciencing Articles!